Join our Camp Staff
If you’re creative, passionate about working with young people, and interested in deepening your faith, consider applying for a SUMMA Camp Staff position.
Job Description: As a SUMMA camp counselor, you’ll enjoy a fun, challenging, and rewarding experience. You’ll hone your public speaking and leadership skills – and make new friends. You’ll also oversee the care, safety, social interaction, and good behavior of campers while you help prepare a small group of campers for debate rounds during the last two days of camp.
- Minimum 20 years of age, or completion of one year of college,
- Excellent organizational and communication skills,
- Current or previous experience working with youth, such as church youth director, acolyte master, Sunday school leader, or high school teacher,
- Previous experience working as staff and/or counselor at an organized camp, or as a SUMMA camper,
- Comfortable taking part in all activities, including sports, arts, special events, and entertainment,
- No debate or theological training required,
- Applicants from all Christian denominations are encouraged to apply,
- Must pass background check and drug test (at SUMMA’s expense),
- Provide three references,
- Complete the University’s online Protection of Minors Training Program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend meals, worship services, lectures, seminars, debate rounds, and group recreational activities unless excused by camp director,
- Responsible for the location and general wellbeing of campers, including meals, plenary sessions, free time, evening activities, compline, and evening check-in to the dorm,
- Lead discussion groups to help prepare students for the end-of-camp tournament,
- May be asked to lead free-time activities,
- Participate in pre-camp training and staff meetings during camp unless excused by the camp director,
- Stay overnight in dorm housing provided for campers,
- Enjoy campers’ experience with them,
- Earn a stipend with all room and board and materials paid for by SUMMA.
During interviews, potential counselors must demonstrate:
- Dedication to the aims and ideals of the SUMMA program,
- Emotional maturity and stability in decision-making,
- Ability to responsibly care for the campers—their ideas, undertakings, and problems,
- Commitment to help campers uphold the ideals of the SUMMA program.
Applications for SUMMA camp counselor positions are active through June 1 of the current camp year, or until all positions are filled for the current year’s camp.
Apply for Camp Counselor [link to online application or place on this page]
Camp Director, Chaplain, and Camp Nurse
Those interested in serving as Camp Director, Chaplain, or Camp Nurse should contact the Rev. Cindy Fribourgh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-580-9066 for more information.