Join our Camp Staff
If you’re creative, passionate about working with young people, and interested in deepening your faith, consider applying for a SUMMA Camp Staff position.
Job Description: As a SUMMA camp counselor, you’ll enjoy a fun, challenging, and rewarding experience. You’ll hone your public speaking and leadership skills – and make new friends. You’ll also oversee the care, safety, social interaction, and good behavior of campers while you help prepare a small group of campers for debate rounds during the last two days of camp.
- Minimum 20 years of age, or completion of one year of college,
- Excellent organizational and communication skills,
- Current or previous experience working with youth, such as church youth director, acolyte master, Sunday school leader, or high school teacher,
- Previous experience working as staff and/or counselor at an organized camp,
- Comfortable taking part in all activities, including sports, arts, special events, and entertainment,
- No debate or theological training required,
- Applicants from all Christian denominations are encouraged to apply,
- Must pass background check and drug test (at SUMMA’s expense),
- Provide three references,
- Complete the University’s online Protection of Minors Training Program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attend meals, worship services, lectures, seminars, debate rounds, and group recreational activities unless excused by camp director,
- Responsible for the location and general wellbeing of campers, including meals, plenary sessions, free time, evening activities, compline, and evening check-in to the dorm,
- Lead discussion groups to help prepare students for the end-of-camp tournament,
- May be asked to lead free-time activities,
- Participate in pre-camp training and staff meetings during camp unless excused by the camp director,
- Stay overnight in dorm housing provided for campers,
- Enjoy campers’ experience with them,
- Earn a stipend with all room and board and materials paid for by SUMMA.
During interviews, potential counselors must demonstrate:
- Dedication to the aims and ideals of the SUMMA program,
- Emotional maturity and stability in decision-making,
- Ability to responsibly care for the campers—their ideas, undertakings, and problems,
- Commitment to help campers uphold the ideals of the SUMMA program.
Applications for SUMMA camp counselor positions are active through June 1 of the current camp year, or until all positions are filled for the current year’s camp.
Applications for camp counselors will open soon.
Camp Director, Chaplain, and Camp Nurse
Those interested in serving as Camp Director, Chaplain, or Camp Nurse should contact the Rev. Cindy Fribourgh at email@example.com or 501-580-9066 for more information.