SUMMA seeks to fill ten counselor positions for the 2018 SUMMA Camp, July 17–25, 2018 at the University of the South, Sewanee, TN.
Being a counselor for SUMMA Student Theological Debate Society is a fun and rewarding challenge. This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone who is creative; passionate; and interested in working with young people, honing their public speaking and teaching experience, and having fun!
Counselors are responsible for the general oversight of the care, security, and good behavior of the campers.
Corporate worship, instruction, and fellowship are essential components of the SUMMA program. All counselors are expected to attend meals, worship services, lectures, seminars, debate rounds, and group recreational activities unless excused by the program director.
Many counselors will lead a group of 4–5 campers that will help them prepare for debate rounds the last two days of camp. Through the day, the small-group leader is responsible for knowing where his or her campers are and looking to their well-being. This includes:
- Plenary Sessions
- Free Time
- Evening Activities
- Evening check-in to the dorm
- Minimum 20 years of age, or completion of one year of college by July 17, 2018;
- Current or previous experience working with youth in some capacity: church youth director, acolyte master, Sunday school leader, high school teacher, etc.;
- Previous experience working as staff and/or counselor at an organized camp.
Interviews are a critical step in the selection process during which potential counselors must demonstrate:
- Dedication to the aims and ideals of the SUMMA program,
- Emotional maturity and stability in decision-making,
- Ability to responsibly care for the campers—their ideas, undertakings, and problems,
- Ability to help campers uphold the ideals of the program.
Counselors will receive $500 for the week in compensation. Regrettably, travel expenses to and from the University of the South are not reimbursable.
In accordance with University of the South policies, counselors are required to have background checks and complete the University’s Protection of Minors Training, an online program that takes approximately one hour.
Background checks will be conducted at the expense of SUMMA.
For more information, please contact the Rev. Cindy Fribourgh, Program Director, at email@example.com or 501.580.9066.